This film produced by Daryl F. Zanuck, directed by William Wellman is a film adaptation of the great Jack London novel. Gable is truly sympathetic as an adventurous prospector, Jack Thornton. The film takes place in the great northwest where everyone is looking for gold. Jack meets Claire Blake who is searching for her husband who hasn't returned from his venture to their claim and presumed dead. She hires Jack and Shorty Hoolihan to help her get back to their claim site. Meanwhile, one of the most sympathecit and interesting parts of the picture is the relationship that occurs when Jack saves a seemingly unmanageable dog, Buck from being killed by a sadistic prospector named Smith, played by Reginald Owen.
Once of the best scenes in the film is when Jack bets that Buck can haul 1000 pounds of weight. Truly the love of his master makes Buck able to achieve the task.
The film took much longer to make then its anticipated six weeks and Gable and Loretta Young started a relationship which resulted in a daughter, the existence of which was never made public until long after his death.
The cast includes:
- Clark Gable .... Jack Thornton
- Loretta Young .... Claire Blake
- Jack Oakie .... Shorty Hoolihan
- Reginald Owen .... Mr. Smith
- Frank Conroy .... John Blake
- Katherine DeMille .... Marie
- Sidney Toler .... Joe Groggins
- James Burke .... Ole
- Charles Stevens .... François, Smith's Henchman
- Lalo Encinas .... Kali, Smith's Henchman
- Thomas E. Jackson .... Tex Rickard (as Tommy Jackson)
- Russ Powell .... Russ, the Bartender
- Herman Bing .... Sam
- George MacQuarrie .... Mounted Policeman